Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Next Week

In one week and a few hours from now I will be sitting on KLM flight 6030, Boston to Venice with a connection in Amsterdam. One week in Venice; one week in Florence. All alone. Can't wait.

I can't remember if I've ever traveled two weeks straight by myself. I don't think I have. I've spent weekends alone: Three days of yoga in the Berkshires. Three days in Manhattan, when nobody I knew wanted to pay the exorbitant cost of a Sting ticket at St. John's Cathedral in Harlem and so I went on my own and enjoyed every second.

Other than 3 firm commitments to meet friends and acquaintances, and the ever-present Sting concert (he performs in Florence) I have no set itinerary for these two weeks. I have been to both cities twice and have seen the tourist-musts. The Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs, Santa Maria Salute, Rialto Market. Ponte Vecchio, the David, the Duomo, the Uffizzi. This time, I will wander.

I will practice my paltry Italian in cafes and street markets. I will eat pasta and panini and drink red wine. I will chat up the staff at both hotels to get the scoop on where to really go and what to really do and see. I will try on boots and ignore the snickers of the salesgirl when I tell her my size. I will make new Italian friends and invite myself back to visit them next year.

As my friend Susan says, It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

3 comments:

  1. You're not staying behind for writers group? Suit yourself. You do realize you'll miss a meeting (really bad planning on your part I'd say).

    And have such a great time. And a safe one. I knnow you'll take lots of new pictures--with your new little camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds perfectly idyllic.

    In just about one week from now I will be inordinately jealous of you and your adventure- a feeling that doesn't often wash over me.

    Buon viaggio, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More years than I remember ago, I went to Europe solo and ended up staying there almost a year. A good part of that time was spent in and around Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples and on the Amalfi coast. The funny thing about traveling solo in Italy is that you are never really alone. Have a great time Cheryl and give Sting my regards.

    ReplyDelete