Saturday, September 12, 2009

Who Does She Think She Is?

I had the wonderful opportunity to view this documentary. at the Maynard Fine Arts Theatre last week. The director, Pamela T. Boll, chronicles the lives of five contemporary female artists. How does being female affect and effect making art? How does motherhood influence your life as an artist? All five of these women felt pressure to choose between other-nurturer and self-nuturer. More than one of them was accused of being selfish for taking care of her own creative, spiritual, and undeniably psychological needs.

These women's stories are alternately inspiring and heartbreaking. Relationships with significant others suffer and fail; the ones that survive seem bedrock solid. It is disturbing that these are challenges that women, in particular artistic women, still face in the 21st century.

I was struck by a couple of moments in the film:

*Allison's mother tearfully supporting her talented daughter's tenacity and dreams despite the obstacles placed in her way. Everyone should have a mother like that.
*Maye's story about the custody battle for her sons brought about due to the time spent on her art.
*The vibrancy of Camille's paintings. This matched the energy and generosity of her personal story. I love Camille.

Please see this movie if you can. It speaks to the creative urge in all of us, whether we consider ourselves artists or not.

2 comments:

  1. Darn it! I can't believe I missed it. I remembered at about 8:00 that night as I was putting kids to bed. Any idea if it will play again in Maynard? Were there huge crowds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Cheryl. It doesn't look like it is going to be in California soon, so I have put it on my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete