Friday, September 17, 2010

Mall Walking

On my daily run this morning (OK, more of a walk than a run but I do run a bit) I spent a lot of time with my eyes riveted on the ground, dodging road hazards. Loose gravel, tiny potholes, kamikaze chipmunks, a pre-autumn slippery leaf or two. This cautionary approach to my morning routine prevented me from true appreciation of the brilliant sky and the puffy clouds. I didn't realize this until I was back in my own driveway and it totally bummed me out. I like being outside rather than inside on the treadmill because of the fresh air and the diversity of the scenery; now, I felt like I was missing out.

A month ago, while walking on a city sidewalk with eyes focused straight ahead, I tripped on uneven pavement and went flying through the air. I hit the ground squarely on my knees and the palms of my hands, all 4 areas badly skinned as if I were 5 years old again. It hurt; I bled and cried. That's why I run with my eyes on the ground now. I am actually afraid of falling. What am I, 80 years old?

Then something unbidden flashed through my mind. You must have seen them in the mall: Usually white-haired, always in pairs or trios, they walk. Bright white orthopedic sneakers and track suits. They circle the interior of the mall relentless until they reach their desired distance. I used to chuckle to myself at the silliness of it. Now they have me thinking. You don't need to worry about tripping on anything but your own two feet. The weather is always perfect. The people watching would be fun. Running would probably be frowned upon but you could get a good walking speed going. At the end of your 5 miles or whatever you can go to Starbucks or Nordstrom's or both.

I'm worried about myself. But god forbid should I break a hip.

2 comments:

  1. Same rules running/walking as driving apply--keep your eyes on the road and don't text (although the one time I fell running, I knocked my neck back into place). You want scenary? Sit on your deck--although mall walking sort of solves two problems for you at once (yes, they are problems).

    And as your side mirror instructs you that objects are actually closer than they seem, mall walkers are faster than you might think. Start speed training, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathize. I was really cautious after breaking my ankle 2 years ago, but you get over that after a while. Your blog did remind me, though, of how I was taught to walk down the street in Brooklyn, NY. In the days before the "clean up after your dog" laws and campaigns, we were taught to look down so as not to "step in something." Oh, and Boston sidewalks are the worst!!! What's up with all those stupid cobblestones and broken cement?? That's why Boston women wear such dowdy footwear.

    ReplyDelete