Monday, July 27, 2009

San Francisco

I am leaving on a trip to San Francisco with friends this week. I've just started thinking about what to pack: Can I do it all in a carry-on (answer: no, not with my lotions and potions and general liquid requirements), how many electronics cords do I need (ipod charger, camera charger, cell phone charger, kindle charger), how many pairs of glasses (regular eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, regular sunglasses, sport sunglasses, reading glasses), and oh god the shoes (for airplane, for walking, for running, for nightime).

I'm also remembering the last and only time I visited San Francisco. It was 11 years ago and we flew into the city on our way to a long weekend in Sonoma County. That time in Sonoma was the first time I ever thought I could live somewhere other than the Boston environs. (That thought has changed dramatically over the past few years. But that's a whole different post for a future time.) It was late September and the northern California nights are what I remember most. One night, we attended a barrel tasting at the Rodney Strong wine vineyard. The sky was not quite black even at 10 PM; layers of blue mingled with the nightime stars. Our host, hoping to sell us oodles of cases, took us away from the barrels and the people and up among the vines themselves. We plucked grapes and popped them into our mouths reveling in the way the juices flowed down our chins. I had a white top on and didn't care one bit when cabernet-colored stains dotted the front, right around 2 of the buttons. We didn't buy oodles of cases but we bought a few.

We only spent a few hours in the city itself on our way home; we drove up and down some hills, parked with great difficulty near Fisherman's Wharf, took some photos of cable cars and called it a day. I'm glad to be going back.

2 comments:

  1. It used to be easier to pack, didn't it? When did we begin needing a whole suitcase for our electronics? Consider just bringing one pair of all-purpose shoes, like some Crocs. Makes packing so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lot of trouble. Why even go?


    What? No karaoke machine cord?

    ReplyDelete